Mrs. Jackie Burr
Decades ago, I grew up in Gunnison, Utah, a small town in Central Utah with fewer people in the whole town than the number of students here at Herriman High School. In between all those years, I kept going back to class--both as a student and a teacher. My husband reminds me that I’ve accumulated way too much blue sporting attire reppin’ my favorite high school and college teams.
Peter Belder said it right: “I teach because being around those who are just beginning to breathe, I occasionally find myself catching my breath with them.” To watch students set educational goals and achieve them, as they uncover their hidden writing talents, reminds me that students make teaching the best career.
Away from school, I’m a wife; mom to three grown children; proud grandma of ten amazingly cute grandchildren, ranging from one week to 16; and an avid BYU and Utah Jazz fan.
Mrs. Burr’s classroom motto: Make good writers great.
- To see students as individuals
- To listen
- To be human
- To work as hard as I ask you to
- To challenge you
- To love you through it all
- To teach
- Master of Education/Language Arts - Utah State University, 1998
- Bachelors of English and Business Education, Brigham Young University, 1981
- 11 years of teaching English 1010/2010 and language arts at Herriman High School (2010 - present)
- 3 years of teaching language arts at Bingham High School (2007 - 2010)
- 17 years of teaching concurrent enrollment, language arts, yearbook advisor, and cheer advisor at North Sevier High School (1990 - 2007)
- 7 years of teaching language arts at North Sevier Middle School (1983 - 1990)
Duties and Responsibilities at HHS:
- Part-time adjunct instructor for SLCC
- Sterling Scholar Advisor